As someone who is both a supporter of women and a very sensitive human being, self care is essential in maintaining my well-being. Self care is the actions and initiatives people take to treat themselves well. It seems simple enough, but is too often complicated in application. Many times, people think self-care is the same as self-pampering, and sometimes, people (myself included) confuse self-care coping with coping that is actually self-harming (which is a nuanced issue–and debatably, certain actions can be both harming and caring, in that they are both methods of coping.)
Below are some methods of self-care, the big ones you would expect, and the little ones that get me through the day sometimes. If you are someone who self-cares, feel free to add that which gives you strength.
- Pulling my hair of my face. Because I like my face,
- Waking up earlier than I need to. Because then I’ve already done something right, even if it is only 4:30.
- Making myself do something I hate to do, that I have to do, so that I can be proud of myself yet again, even if it is only 4:45.
- “You’re doing good enough, in that you’re doing it.”
- Not procrastinating. Hahahaha, yeah right.
- Netflix, see 5, 6.
- Recognizing what I’ve succeeded at today. #thisblog
- Telling someone who deserves it to go fuck themselves.
- Trusting my gut.
- Only doing what I want to be doing. Selfish self care.
- Believing my perceptions, and allowing myself to feel my own feelings.
- Forgiving my own ongoing anxiety. Remembering that everything is one breath at a time.
- Remembering that my passions are great, but somehow, simultaneously, nothing fucking matters. Think about it. It’s the unbearable, beautiful lightness of being. You can’t change a damn thing. So relieving and suffocating all at once.
- Thinking of those who have treated me with respect, and allowing space to feel grateful for them.
I wasn’t specific to disability, cuz it didn’t show up for me today. No no, it’s still here, just, not in this post.Having said that, I am immensely jealous of people that can bath whenever they want. You self-care gods, you.